Monday 1 August 2011

Thing 6: Online networks

I know other people who are on LinkedIn and in the past I've poked around in their profiles to see what sort of info they shared. I had steered clear of it myself because it didn't seem relevant to me as I'm not looking for a new job or for any freelance stuff. Since trying it out for Thing 6 I've decided that it's a good way to keep my CV up to date - this is something I'm very bad at. With the current state of the economy and job market I need to make sure my CV is updated and presentable at short notice. I can't see myself using LinkedIn to keep in contact with colleagues but if I was searching for a new job it would be invaluable to find out about the company and people that work there. I have joined a couple of LinkedIn groups but have just amended my profile to stop all the emails alerting me to new discussions as they were filling up my inbox.
The comment 'Facebook is the backyard BBQ; LinkedIn is the office' stuck a chord with me. I intend to keep Facebook as my locked-down, non-professional network. I'm all for maintaining a work/life balance and have no intention of being in the office (virtually or physically) when I don't need to be. I love my job but there is life outside of libraries.

I'm already a member of CILIP Communities and have kept my short profile up to date. I joined a while ago because I'm a mentor for the Chartership etc scheme. Chartership candidates looking for a mentor can find out a bit about my professional background which helps them pick the right mentor for them.

I'm pleased I've joined all these networks but now need to keep a tight reign on the info that comes out of them or I fear I'll have generated my own information overload.

No comments:

Post a Comment