Tuesday 2 August 2011

Thing 8: Google Calendar

Well I've downloaded Google Calendar, added it to my iGoogle page and inserted the cpd23 dates but I won't use this tool for work. The team at work already use a shared calendar via the email system which we populate with all our outings/meetings/appointments. However I also use a printed diary for work because I don't have a smartphone that will sync with the online calendar. It feels 'safe' to have a paper version - I've jokinly asked for a netbook at work so that I can go more or less paperless - but no word on this yet. it is somewhat disheartening to go to a meeting to find you are the only one who has to print out the papers instead of read them on the netbook. Online calendars are important for team work in the office - we can pitch in when we see others are having a busy day and give accurate 'she's not at her desk, she'll be back at so and so o'clock' reports to telephone callers. It can sometimes feels like online calendars are used to keep tabs on staff (maybe I'm paranoid) but all in all I find it useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment