Friday 19 August 2011

Thing 12: Putting the social into social media

There's been a lot of discussion lately about how social media facilitated/encouraged the recent riots in the UK. I think that it's just a new method of bringing people together. In the past people have managed to organise demonstrations/football hooliganism without the use of social media so it's just a new tool and those that don't use or understand it simply jump on the bandwagon and start trashing it. If these people googled cpd23 they'd find out how useful social media can be!

The last few weeks following cpd23 have encourage me to use social media to meet a purpose. Instead of reading blogs on a Friday afternoon at work I now write my blog posts too and reflect on how to use the tools in my job. This has introduced regular reflection into my week. I've linked up with a few others on the course and it's nice to find supportive, like-minded online friends. Not only have I talked about cpd23 and social media on the blog, friends and colleagues are interested in what I'm learning and blogging about and even my Mum has started to read my blog.

I've been using blogs to keep up to date with the world of libraries and education for a couple of years now but it's this course that has made me sort out all the random links and get myself involved rather than sitting on the sidelines. I started tweeting earlier this year and check Facebook regularly but had never really thought about how to use it professionally - until now.

I intend to keep using social media in my work (where I am permitted) and some of the tools we have used so far I will use professionally and personally - like Twitter, Facebook and Evernote.

No comments:

Post a Comment