Monday 1 August 2011

Thing 7: Face-to-face networks and professional organisations

I belong to CILIP and am a member of the Health Libraries Group and University, College and Research Group. I've been a member of CILIP since 2000 when I started as a graduate trainee. I'm one of the few  left in my organisation that is actually a member - the further I've moved from London the less signed up/paid up members I've met which is a shame. I've been reflecting on why I am still a member of CILIP after 11 years. I know there is the argument that it's a lot of money each year but I like finding Update on the doormat, I always read the jobs email (just to be nosey really), I read the publications from the two groups I belong to, I read the CILIP blog, I flick through the Facet catalogue, I like having CILIP on my CV, I've done my Chartership, I'm a mentor and I'm revalidating. I get quite a lot out of my membership in terms of professional development and the satisfaction of feeling there is a large support network that I can draw on when needed and for those two reasons I'm happy to renew my membership - after all, you only get out what you put in. I'm not into writing journal articles about library research but I do enjoy mentoring for CILIP so being a member makes me part of the wider library community in a way that I am comfortable with.

Since the Browne Report I've been looking at doing a qualification in learning and teaching in HE. Hopefully this will strengthen my CV, improve my skills and gain recognition in the institution for the work carried out by the librarians. With that qualification I'd like to become a member of the HEA. Bit of a long term goal this one but edging towards it via the appraisal scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment