Monday 14 November 2011

Thing 21: Promoting yourself in job applications and at interview

I made a list of my interests and activities and of course being tidy was top of the list. However, it turns out that I like a good project to work on. I have long suspected this - I do like a tick list of things to be done. My favourite activity is throwing stuff out/eliminating clutter. If I ever leave the library world I think I'd be just at home in the house clearance trade! Other people have asked me to help them clear out their stuff because they need someone to spur them on. The psychology aspect interests me too - why do people gather all this stuff?

Projects and eliminating clutter both transfer to work. I like to have something to work on aside from the on-going user education tasks. A long thin project that makes me learn something new or gains me a new perspective. In particular, I love stock editing at work - it's essential to maintaining a healthy, living collection.

I've been updating my CV lately, not because I'm looking for a new job but so that I can keep track of everything I've done. With the changes to Uni funding in 2012 I thought I should be prepared to move quickly - just in case Liaison Librarians are not seen as value for money.

I also love shopping. This means I can quickly conjure up a book order to spend the last bits (and more) of the budget at the end of the year. What starts as a couple of new editions turns into a supermarket sweep.

One job interview sticks in my mind and it was for a job that I didn't want. I had applied and gone to the interview in order to gain some real-life experience after library school. The interviewer asked the standard question 'why do you want this job?' and my mind went blank apart from one thought that in my head said - 'but I don't want it'. There was a long pause and I couldn't think of anything sensisble to say. I must have said something but it escapes me now. After that I have only gone for jobs that I really wanted - no messing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment