Wednesday 9 November 2011

Thing 17: Medium is the message - Prezi and Slideshare

Prezi looks fantastic and indeed it is fantastic. It's just that my brain couldn't fathom out what Prezi was doing! It all felt a little too freestyle for me - I'm afraid I prefer a linear approach. Still I had a go. I picked the 'explain a subject' template - not quite up to taking the off-piste route yet - and it was easy enough to edit.

I quite like the way you can criss-cross the screen but I did feel slightly sea-sick with all the swirling around. It's not exciting but here's my attempt at Prezi http://prezi.com/4hvtn_xnzfge/library-orientation/. I suspect that with a lot (an awful lot)  more practice I could make some good presentations to share with the students.

I often read  The Search Principle Blog where presentations/documents are shared using Slideshare. I have been looking forward to the Slideshare task since this course began. I knew it would be useful but I hadn't realised how simple it was - it took seconds to sign up, upload a file and see it shared. I can see this being invaluable. When working offsite I can have all my presentations saved in Slideshare as well as on a USB stick (I'm a big fan of having multiple back up plans when running workshops). I can also link to them on Slideshare rather than keep uploading them to different areas of the virtual learning environment. You can see my 'test' slideshare item at http://www.slideshare.net/kateldavies/search-clinic

I intend to explore Prezi further and I will be adding more things to Slideshare in the current weeks so that I can test it in future training sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment