Monday 14 November 2011

Thing 18: Jing, screen capture and podcasts.

I've previously used Screenr to do screen capture at work and so far it's worked well particularly as it was easily accessible at home and work - no need to download anything. However I was interested to see what Jing had to offer. The act of making a screen capture video via Jing was much the same as with Screenr - 5 mins recording time, adjust the recording area to cover the bit of the screen you want, pause/stop etc buttons. Alas when recording a video, Jing seemed to make the screen a bit shaky and slow.

Jing offered the option to take an image (screenshot) and add a caption. I particularly liked this feature because it's a good way to capture 'quirks' on the online library system. I captured one of those troublesome Athens log in pages that plague some of the online databases ... bonus points for Jing. Of course you can do print screen and add a text box in Word etc but it seemed so much easier in Jing, at least it did until I wanted to link to it. To link to the image capture I had to use yet another website so instead I've just downloaded my image capture and I can send it to people on email.  I can see the plus points of Jing but it had a few too many annoying habits that make me reluctant to desert Screenr.

Now for podcasting. I had a go at recording a short podcast using the Audacity software. I simply read out a couple of paragraphs from a book and then was well and truly stumped when it came to editing the file. Suffice to say I simply have a little audio file of me reading aloud - which makes me cringe! I think I need to do some reading up about podcast creation before I have another go.  Previously I have listened to some library induction podcasts and the odd thing from tutors at work. I can see podcasts being a useful addition to audio PowerPoints, screencasts etc to help distance learners become familiar with library services - possibly as a way to do a questions and answers session - students pose the question and I give the answer via a podcast.

1 comment:

  1. i heard a lot of nice reviews about this tool http://www.macvide.com/Macvide_screencap/, it records screen very well) but thanx for post!)

    ReplyDelete