Monday 27 June 2011

Thing 3: Consider your personal brand

I don't know whether to breathe a sigh of relief or be slightly miffed. I tried Googling my name, trawled through the first 10 pages of results and found nothing! I'd like to point out that if you Google my name I'm not the author, the glamour model or the housing manager.  Still I carried on thinking I must be on the old interweb somewhere. I added in 'library' and lo and behold I found a couple of references to me.

On the first page of results I found a photo of me that I can't remember being taken nor did I give my permission for it to be put on the web with my full name! In terms of boosting my online presence, it's not my best side and I could do with a little airbrushing so I won't be getting snapped up for Paris Fashion Week. It's work-related but I think you should always ask permission if you put someone's photo up on the web. I would have said ok but not with my full name just my job title.

On the third page of results I found my work contact details. The fact that it only appeared on the third page doesn't say an awful lot for the web presence of my institution.

On the fifth page was my Twitter account. I've recently made my tweets public but think this will only last as long as cpd23 because I feel a little vulnerable. I keep my Facebook page locked down as much as possible as this is my personal not professional space - not that there's anything outrageous on it.

In terms of improving my brand I need to up my comments, tweets, blog posts etc to generate some more traffic. I'm hoping cpd23 will help with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment