Saturday 22 September 2012

Inductions: a pause in proceedings

This week was a little calmer - thankfully. It consisted of:

a) a meeting with one of my Chartership mentees.

b) two student tutorials where I offered assistance with developing keywords and accessing the full-text. One of the students had compiled a rather extensive and impressive Boolean connected concoction of keywords. It was a valiant attempt but they had ended up in a bit of a pickle. Once we had unpicked it all became much clearer and they are now finding articles here, there and everywhere.

c) a refresher workshop for a group of MSc students - they were bowled over by reference management software.

d) a meeting with a colleague to 'thought-shower' ideas for some workshops the team is putting together for a new cohort of PhD students. I always think we'll be discussing advanced search techniques and how to access various archives elsewhere but every year they want (and need) the same old talk covering logging-in/passwords/explaining what databases are for. One day they'll surprise me and ask about truncation or institutional repositories!

e) a couple of tours - more practise for next week. I'm almost on auto-pilot now.

f) I showed a librarian, from a nearby University, around my library. They were impressed with the facilities and we exchanged library-gossip.

g) one team meeting looking at last minute preparation for upcoming inductions and a discussion about the business plan for this year.

h) I had to return my journal renewals spreadsheet to our Periodicals librarian. I've basically signed up for another 12 months of expensive material that will probably go up in price without any real explanation and wipe out the budget by Christmas. But hey ho that's journals.

i) the last task of the week was to run a library orientation activity for library staff in order to refresh their memories for this year's inductions. They will be helping out with some of the scheduled activities.

A busy but relatively calm week. I've looked at the timetable for next week - my feet are hurting at the thought of all the upcoming walking tours.... see you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment